Our goal is to remove as many steps from farm to table as possible; so the shellfish you receive are the freshest possible. Shellfish is shipped direct to you from Homer Alaska. We ship Federal Express Priority Overnight in the US (sorry due to state regulations no shipments to Louisiana, Texas and Hawaii at this time). To avoid shipping delays, a signature is not required for receiving packages. By placing an order for shellfish you agree to take responsibility for the package once FedEx marks it delivered. Shipping includes reusable styrofoam container and gel packs.
Storage – Oysters are Live!
Our shellfish are hand sorted and come to you live. Oysters can survive out of the water for up to 2 weeks. The romans used to transport oysters wrapped in seaweed from Brittany to Rome (a 2-3 week journey). In our house shellfish don’t last that long (sometimes the oysters don’t make it across the bay before they’re consumed). They are always best when fresh, but if you do not plan to eat them straight out of the box, here are some tips to keep them alive until you’re ready to eat them:
- Scrub the outside of your oysters with a brush to remove any debris or sea hitchhikers.
- Never store shellfish in standing water!
- Store oysters cupped side on the bottom (so the flat side is on top) and cover with a moistened cloth. This will help them hold their liquor and not dry out
- Never store shellfish in airtight containers.
- KEEP THEM COLD! Live oysters should be stored between 40-45 degrees F (5-9 degrees C)
- Never eat an oyster that is open or gaping. They should close when tapped.
- If you’re eating them on the half-shell, you can give them a quick sniff test, when shucked they should have a fresh appetizing seaside scent.
- You can also do a live oyster check by squeezing a little lemon or vinegar on their mantle and they should retract slightly – they too can pucker their lips.
- Freezing kills the oysters, so unless you are planning on cooking them later, do not freeze. Direct shell surface contact with dry ice or gel packs can kill them also; place a cloth or other insulating surface between the live oyster and frozen surfaces if prolonged contact is expected.
We’ve trained them to clamp down tight through our beach hardening process. We’ve scrubbed and sorted them, before finally, gently placing them in the box that will arrive at your door. But some oysters like some people, just don’t like traveling that much, and it is possible that an oyster just refuses to go on living if it can’t stay in Jakolof Bay, if you’ve ever visited you’d understand why, so we always put a few extra in the box, just in case.
Call 907-299-3351 if you wish to purchase quantities over 20 dozen for wholesale, or for a special event, or if you need alternative shipping options.
From our Online Store
Our Oysters Are:
-Harvested from ADEC certified clean waters
-Laboratory tested (ADEC)
-Documented by tags indicating harvest location and date
-Processed by us with oversite from an HACCP certified individual (us)
-Taste tested frequently by us (there have to be some perks to a farmer's life)